Originally written for violin and cello, very little is known about the origins of this duet. It is thought to have been originally published around 1781, when Haydn was working for the Esterhazy family. His duties included writing and performing chamber music for the family, so it’s entirely possible this work is the result of that office. In three movements, the first of which is florid and decorative, the second being a minuet and the third being a lively finale. Both parts share equally in the melodies, often interchanging parts and roles in the ensemble. Complex and quite challenging in places, this arrangement shows the different and yet equal capabilities of the two woodwind instruments.